Website The Bank Of Nevis
Improving The Quality Of Life
The Bank of Nevis Ltd was incorporated on August 29th, 1985 under the laws of the Federation of St. Christopher and Nevis and opened its doors for business to the public on December 9th, 1985. It was created out of a desire to provide banking services to the local community with the hope that this would assist with the development of the island’s economy. It is for this reason that the Bank adopted the motto ‘Improving the Quality of Life’. We offer comprehensive services including a variety of deposit accounts with attractive rates of interest, credit and debit cards and loans. Other services include ATM services, online banking, brokerage services, merchant services and foreign exchange purchases and sales.
The Bank of Nevis Limited invites applications from suitably qualified persons to fill the position of:
Legal Counsel & Assistant Corporate Secretary
The Legal Counsel & Assistant Corporate Secretary provides legal and corporate governance support to the General Counsel & Corporate Secretary and the Board of Directors. The position holder is responsible for assisting the General Counsel & Corporate Secretary in developing legal opinions, drafting legal documents, conducting litigation and debt collection. The position holder is also responsible for providing corporate secretarial support to the Board of Directors.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Conduct research to support the development of legal opinions.
- Provide legal advice as requested by the General Counsel & Corporate Secretary on matters relating to the Bank’s business.
- Draft or review legal instruments, including contracts, deeds, mortgages and other legal documents as directed by General Counsel & Corporate Secretary.
- Assist the General Counsel & Corporate Secretary in preparing for, and conducting litigation on the behalf of the Bank.
- Assist in the Records Management function of the Bank.
- Assist in the identification and evaluation of business and legal risks and finding ways to mitigate them while achieving business goals.
- Prepare demand letters and conduct debt collection or mortgage realisation proceedings against customers with non-performing loans.
- Prepare response letters for estate matters.
- Liaise with the Bank’s external Attorneys-at-Law.
- Assist with coordinating, planning and hosting meetings for the Board of Directors and Shareholders.
- Record minutes and decisions from meetings of the Board of Directors and Shareholders.
- Assist with regulatory filings.
- Any other duties assigned.
Experience and Qualifications
- A minimum of 3 years’ experience as an attorney-at-law (preferably in the financial services sector).
- Bachelor of Laws Degree, qualification as an Attorney-at-Law, with admission to the St. Christopher and Nevis Bar.
- Experience drafting legal documents such as mortgages and loan agreements.
- Experience advising clients and/or companies on corporate governance, securities and/or investments.
- Knowledge of corporate governance matters, including knowledge of applicable local regulations.
Experience in corporate and commercial law is an asset.
Skills and Attributes
- Excellent communication skills (written & verbal)
- Excellent legal drafting skills
- Ability to prioritise, work with multiple tasks simultaneously and meet deadlines
- Excellent legal research skills
- Outstanding analytical ability and attention to detail
- Ability to handle high volume of work and ability to work with minimal supervision
- Knowledge of the following programs: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, among others
All applications should be submitted with detailed Curriculum Vitae and the Bank’s application form which is available on the bank’s website www.thebankofnevis.com. Applications should be submitted no later than May 16th 2022 to:
The Human Resource Manager Tel: 869-469-5564
The Bank of Nevis Limited Fax: 869-469-1039
P O Box 450, Main Street Email: email@example.com
Please note that only those candidates selected for an interview will receive an acknowledgement.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org